c. 1908
Pencil, pastel and watercolor on paper
20 x 32 inches
32 x 44 inches framed
signed lower right
Inscribed on the backing: “Ojai Valley”

Inquire

Provenance:
Private collection, Northern California;
William Sproule, San Francisco, California;
William Swift Daniel, Los Angeles, California

The Chumash Indians lived in Ojai prior to the arrival of the Spanish missionaries. The name "Ojai" is taken from the Chumash word "A'hwai," meaning "moon." As one of the earliest towns laid out in Ventura County, Ojai was settled in the 1880s and incorporated as a city on August 5, 1921. Today, Ojai is by far the smallest city in Ventura County, yet it serves as a hub for the larger unincorporated areas in the Ojai Valley and as a gateway to the Los Padres National Forest. Ojai is known for its active artists community, environmental concerns, community activism, and its serene woodland setting.